1. Change the oil regularly. It is an absolute necessity. Many people do not realize that the oil in the engine can become very dirty if it is not changed. Follow the schedule in your car's manual. Clean oil is important for making sure that everything runs smoothly.
2. Rotate the tires as needed. The outer edge of the tire can become worn down over time so the tires need to be rotated. This puts the unworn edge on the outside so that you can get more use out of the tires. Rotating tires as needed can substantially increase how much you get out of them.
3. Look over the belts inside your engine. If they look worn or frayed then it is time to replace them. You can often buy replacement belts at any auto parts store. Look up the right ones for your type of automobile.
4. Check your tire pressure often. If it is too low or too high, it could pose a problem. Keep this level maintained so that your tires last as long as they should. You can easily check this with an inexpensive tire gauge.
5. Make sure that your brake fluid is always well above the line that indicates a healthy minimum. Your brakes are the lifeline of your vehicle, something that you do not want to overlook.
6. Always run the right type of gasoline for your car or truck. The user manual indicates which type is ideal for the best performance possible. It is not wise to ignore this as it is there for a reason. Do what is best for your vehicle.
7. Keep your paint job new and clean by washing your vehicle on a regular basis. Use materials that are made for a car so that you know it is safe for the paint.
8. Waxing your car every few months is recommended for optimum paint protection. The wax creates a protective barrier from dirt and debris. Test various waxes until you find one that you like.
9. Keep your battery clean and check it regularly to ensure that it is maintaining a proper charge. Allowing the battery to get filthy can be problematic.
10. Check your signal and brake lights. It does not take much for them to burn out and you could be driving around without knowing it.